Onderzoekers van het Pew Research Center analyseerden de foto’s bij artikelen die op Facebook werden gedeeld door: ABC News, BuzzFeed News, CBS News, CNN, Fox News, HuffPost, NBC News, The New York Times, Newsweek, NPR, Time, U.S. News & World Report, USA Today, The Washington Post, Yahoo News, Vice en Vox. De conclusie: mannen komen veel vaker op die foto’s voor dan vrouwen.
There are several ways to measure how often men and women appear in news photos. One way is to think about all the photos together as making up one big crowd of people and estimating what share are women versus men. Of the 53,067 individuals identified in news post images on Facebook, women made up 33 percent, while men made up the other 67 percent.
Another way to look at the data is to examine the mix of people who appear in each image. Across the 22,342 Facebook posts with news photos containing identifiable human faces, more than half of them (53 percent) exclusively showed men, while less than a quarter showed exclusively women (22 percent). All 17 national news outlets included in the study showed more men than women in news images on Facebook during the study period. The share of individuals who were identified as women by the model ranges from 25 percent to 46 percent.